6. Recognize the importance of respecting, honoring and affirming social diversity including Indigenous and world views by demonstration of cultural sensitivity, implementing anti-bias strategies, and promoting inclusion.

Honour and affirm diversity by clarifying own biases, demonstrating cultural competence, implementing anti-bias strategies, and promoting inclusion. 

I strongly believe in my professional and ethical practice, values and beliefs, I welcome, support, respect, honor, and embrace social diversity within my centre and within my own personal values and beliefs. We all, in my centre, in our community, on this island, of our country, and around the world experience social diversity. To have knowledge and an understanding about our own culture is part of our unique identity. I embrace my own country’s cultures – Canada Indigenous Culture and New Zealand Maori Culture. I enjoy sharing my cultural history with my children and families and respectful enjoy learning about their cultural history. I truly believe everyone comes from their own walk of life, have their own stories to tell, values and beliefs and a culture and background they embrace around them. I always look forward to meeting new families, to learn and understand their cultural, backgrounds, values and beliefs when they become comfortable to share their stories with me.

Social diversity has many values, beliefs, cultures, and backgrounds within its community:

• Ethnicity
  • Religious Beliefs
  • Languages
  • Socio Economic Status
  • Different Race
  • Disability
  • Gender
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Geographical Locations

As an educator it is my ethical and my personal commitment to accept, appreciate, and acknowledge my children and their families and staff members from all walks of life and different backgrounds. Through an inclusive and diverse lens we can learn from one another, help each other to understand our customs – values – traditions – beliefs, learn how our families operate – function – live, and how our background shapes our own identity. Together in my centre we can become a social diverse community.

I believe in teaching children at an early age about social diversity in hopes they become open minded social diverse citizens. To empower the children with knowledge and experiences to gain a diverse understanding that will continue to evolve as they grow. Recognizing in their child care centre, their classroom, their community, their work place, and in our world our environment is made up of many different people, many different cultures, many different values and beliefs, many different customs and traditions, many different choices, many different challenges and many different languages. Giving the children in my centre an opportunity to embrace the diverse global world we live in.

In my centre I strive for a diverse and a culturally sensitive and responsive environment. Through social and emotional skill development lessons and materials we can learn together:

• Books
    • The Skin You Live In. By Michael Tyler
    • Pink Is for Boys. By Robb Pearlman
  • Art
    • Hand prints of different colours
    • Self portrait
  • Language – Learning to say hello in different languages of the children and families in our centre
    • English – Hello
    • Chinese – Ni hao
  • Songs
  • Materials
    • Toy food of different cultures
    • Boy and girl dolls of different ethnicities
  • Family and community members visiting the centre
    • An Elder of the community baking bannock
    • A Grandpa playing the Pipe Band snare drum
  • Anti-bias lessons – For All children / and families to:
    • Have a sense of belonging
    • Experience affirmation of their identity and culture
    • Engage in play and education, to be happy and successful
    • Respect and learn together in a diverse and an inclusive environment
    • Have a voice
    • Have rights

Together we can explore diversity and culture with our children and their families in a trusting and safe environment.

Child by child and family by family I hope through education, knowledge, and exploring, along with lessons from myself, families, and community members we are able to lessen social diversity bias, stereotyping and discriminating opinions in the future.

Together let’s embrace a more peaceful social diversity community!

J.P.B.

Managing diverse teams – culckuklieriute

Examples of Documentation: Direct

ECC 136 Journal Assignment – Part One 2020

ECC 136 Journal Assignment – Part Two 2020

ECC 163 The Families We Meet Scenario Assignment

ECC 157 Groups Skills – Stereotypes

ECC 124 Assignment – Understanding the Reggio Emilia Approach The Reggio Report

Examples of Documentation: Indirect

CCCF Membership 2020 and Present

ECEBC Membership 2019 and Present

ECEBC Code of Ethics

Rights of the Child

Building Bridges Through Understanding the Village Experiential Workshop

Health and Healing in Troubled and Changing Times May, 2020

Functional Neurological Disorder Apr, 2020

Seizure Awareness Workshop Oct 2008

New Zealand Reference Letter Lachlan McLean

New Zealand Dental Surgery Assistant