My Living Philosophy Statement.

I believe all children are unique, capable and full of potential. A child’s development begins the day they enter into our world and flourishes within the first 5 years of their life. Through this magical time of learning a child will develop social skills, cognitive skills, thinking skills, decision making skills, ability to concentrate and behaviour, and develop their own personality. These skills and traits will continue to be lifelong lessons for the child.  Along with shaping a life style of good health, well-being, and growth this will support the child in school, the work force and with their families and communities.   

Personal beliefs and values are important: roots, family, culture, what you choose to do for yourself, skills, hopes, dreams, and who and what is important to a child, parent, and educator.   

My vision for working with children is… to provide a fun, inspirational, educational and developmentally appropriated learning opportunities for children to individually grow. Teaching and learning side by side to give and take, to wonder, to think, to explore, and reflect together as we connect and build relationships.

I believe in a PLAY to LEARN lens is an amazing learning journey for children! 

J.P.B.

ECC 136 Philosophy Building Blocks Poster Welcome to our centre Created by Juanita Phillips-Bell

The photos I share with you here are examples of  how we  like to and how I envision play to learn! Learning activities I have created:

Communication and Literacy

Hi my name is Juanita. Nice to meet you. What is your name?

“Stick and Stone” book by Beth Ferry. A book we all love to read to our children to learn about friendships and empathy. The children enjoy this book greatly, so we decided to expand the book by going on a nature walk to look for props. After the children went exploring for the stick, stone and pinecone, we added eyes and a mouth for them to become characters from the book. The story book now has evolved into a live and tangible story book!

Music

My music box is filled with fun songs to move to,  to slow down to, to gather with and I also have expandable ideas to add to  the songs – a different style, prop, and to giggle with!

Our 5 senses

20 Listening Games and Activities for Preschoolers

Sensory Walk - Exploring the Sense of Touch

6 Smelly (and Really Fun!) Activities for Kids | Scholastic | Parents

Build your own pair of binoculars (Preschool/Kindergarten art activity) — The Lightingale

It is important for all children to explore with their 5 senses through out their learning day. What do you see, smell, hear, taste and feel?

On our nature walks we love to take  a moment or two or three… to engage in our senses.

Community

Culture – Diversity – Inclusive

Special Needs Awareness, All Positive - SNAAP - Home | Facebook

World cultural zones [OC] [1451x786] : MapPorn

I enjoy learning with our children about their homeland country, where their country is on the global map, along with learning how to say “Hello” in their country’s native language.  I am from New Zealand and we say hello in English – Hello, and in our Maori native language – Kia Ora. My little friend is from China and their family says hello in Chinese – Ni hao.  When engaging in this around the world language activity at the beginning of the school year, it brings a sense of belonging for the child and their family and interest to all our children trying to say hello in another language. Along with same giggles when my little friend from China lets me know I am saying Ni hao wrong. I politely smile and  let my little friend know I am going to have to practice and practice saying hello in Chinese and hopefully on a morning when he and his family arrive to our centre I will be able to say Ni hao correctly.

“Guardian Bear”  by Canadian artist Sue Coleman

I have had the amazing experience of meeting Sue personally  in her beautiful

Metchosin studio. Her interpretive Northwest Coast Indian paintings are stunning and truly tell a story.

http://www.suecoleman.ca/Limited/tng010.htm

Northwest Coast Art Booklet

The children pick 5 colouring pages to colour and materials for a cover for their booklet. Together with ribbon we create a beautiful art booklet . Then throughout the day the children learn about the designs with an educator at story time to enhance  their knowledge of the community and land we live on.

Northwest Coast Art Colouring Pages

Here are 3 examples from my collect of pages for the children to choose from.

Haida Art - Bear coloring page from Canadian Aboriginal Art category. Select from 29377 printable cra… | Aboriginal art for kids, Canadian aboriginal art, Haida art

Bear

Summer Sun coloring book design. Northwest Coast First Nations style by Charrine Naziel-Lace | Coloring pages, Designs coloring books, Coloring books

Sun

Hummingbird coloring book design. Northwest Coast First Nations style by Charrine Naziel-Lace | Designs coloring books, Native american art, American art

Humming Bird

Math and Science

Data Analysis

What is your favourite tasting apple?

From a bag of assorted coloured apples the children sort them into colour groups. Then together with an educator they experience cutting a whole apple into half, and then into quarters. Next, place the apple in the same coloured bowl. After all the apples are prepared and the children have set the tables with plates and napkins, washed their hands it is time to taste each of the different coloured apples and to graph which apple was their favourite tasting apple. Then we get to count the graph lines to learn which apple tasted the best.

Mindfulness Meditation

A moment to calm our mind, body and breathe…

Health

Nurse Aaron Ted likes to educate us on health and well being

as it is important to look after ourselves.

Activity Fun!!!

Spring Circle Time | Preschool circle time activities, Circle time activities, Preschool circle time

Mixing Colors - Play to Learn | Color mixing, Play to learn, Preschool colors

Making yarn garland sculpture

Yarn Craft for Kids: A Circle Garland!

Outdoor Environment

The following photos are of the outdoor environment assignment Donna and I created with the focus of play to learn. My two sons Cameron now 18 years and Carson now 16 years wish they could have enjoyed a child care environment like this one!

ECC 125 Outdoor Environment Partnership Assignment

ELP’s and Activities Examples

I have created all of the following direct documentations to engage in!!!

Stencil Art Exploration and Learning Plan 2019

Sculpture Exploration and Learning Plan 2019

Painting Art Exploration and Learning Plan 2019

Ocean Wonders Water Table Science Exploration and Learning Plan 2019

Mindfulness Meditation ELP

Fun Brain Facts 2019

Exploration and Learning Plan 2019 -playdough

Exploration and Learning Plan for Cooking with Apples 2020

ECC 124 – Literature Assignments Part1 Your Personal Literature List and Part 2 Expansion of 1 Story