3. Identify the high significance of professional accountability and ethical behaviour that is required in ECCE, recognizing the ECEBC Code of Ethics as a guide for ethical decision making. 

Demonstrate an understanding of the high level of professional accountability and ethical behaviour that is required in ECC, using the ECEBC Code of Ethics to guide decision-making and judgment.

Demonstrate an understanding that children and families are part of systems, that servicers develop and operate within systems, and childcare is part of the larger community social service system. 

Professional responsibility, accountability, role and ethical behaviour in the field of early childhood care and education I believe is the foundation to quality child care. I feel each of these 4 pillars of professionalism interlinks and overlaps one another to secure a great foundation. My own professional practice and philosophy is built on this foundation platform I believe in. I am committed and dedicated to providing the best and high quality care for all of the children and families in my centre.

I try my best to have a deep understanding of the following document recourses to reach all my responsibilities, accountabilities, roles, and ethical behaviour:

ECEBC Code of Ethics, Rights of the Child, Active Play July 2016, BC Early Learning Framework, BC Play Today Handbook, Childs Rights Canada. Covid-19 Guidance Child Care Settings July 2020, Early Learning for Every Child Today,  Safe Play Space Dec 2007, Truth & Reconciliation – Call to Action Booklet 2020, The BC Handbook for Action on Child Abuse and Neglect, and Child Care Licensing Regulation 2007 – Last Amended May 2020.

How I Practice Early Childhood Professionalism through:

Professional Responsibility

Professional Accountability

Professional Role

Professional Ethical Behaviour 

When working in the early child care field as an educator it is our duty to know and understand the Early Childhood Educators of British Columbia (ECEBC) Code of Ethics.

“ECEBC recognizes its responsibility to promote ethical practices and attitudes on the part of early childhood educators. The following principles have been developed to help early childhood educators monitor their professional practice.

Early childhood educators:

• promote the health and well-being of all children *
  • use developmentally appropriate practices when working with all children
  • work in partnership with parents, supporting them in meeting their responsibilities to their children
  • work in partnership with colleagues and other service providers in the community to support the well-being of families
  • work in ways that enhance human dignity
  • pursue, on an ongoing basis, the knowledge, skills and self-awareness needed to be professionally competent
  • demonstrate integrity in all of their professional relationships”

(ECEBC. 2008. p. 1 & 4).

Well-being of Others – is the most important responsible to prioritize in my centre as an early learning professional. Providing respect, compassion, kindness, empathy, and support to my children, their families, and my staff is uplifting and rewarding.

My Own Well-being – is important too, as I have many roles to encompass throughout my daily responsibilities: educator responsibilities, facilitator of play, a learning partner with children and families, facilitator of learning experiences, working effectively with others, building trusting relationships, confidentiality, researching, connecting with others in the community in the early child field, perform centre’s manger duties – licensing requirements, procedures and policies, staff education and training, enrollment and scheduling, government funding, incentives, improvements, affordable child care benefits for our programming, child, families, and staff.

Image of the Child – I believe the whole and unique child is full of potential, capable and competent, they are curious, explorers, and little scientists and they have an eagerness to learn and teach in interests that connect to them, as well as being active young citizen with rights.

Building Relationships with Children – with respect to and for the children opens the positive pathway to developing relationships. The children and I teach and learn from one another in a partner relationship. Showing responsiveness and celebrating our learning will connect us to continue building our relationships deeper.

Child-adult learning relationship – I view the child as a partner. Together we listen (to learn what interests the child), collaborate, engage, explore and experience learning side by side.

Collaboration in Learning – Listening and learning from one another, children, educators, and families builds relationships. I believe collaboration is one of the most important keys to successful learning in all programs and models. Collaboration leads to healthy discussions, growth and development across all 5 developmental domains for a child. Providing a strong foundation in growth and development for a child will continue with the child through school, work, and their lifelong journeys.

Cultural diversity – I try my best to have many perspectives, knowledge and understandings of cultural diversity. All children and their families come from many walks of life. By supporting the child and their family creates a sense of belonging which helps in having a positive learning environment. It also opens the door to connection and relationships. We can all learn from one another in a culturally responsive environment. Inviting a child and family to share their cultural background with the centre is important to me, the children and families.

Curiosity – creates the opportunity for the children and myself to think deeper about our interests, subject, object, loose parts and materials we engage in which enhances our learning in a more meaningful way. Curiosity also props me to reflect on the “Thinking Lens” Carter and Curtis introduced in 2007, “Know yourself – Examine the environment – Take the children’s point of view – Engage the heart and mind – Collaborate and research – consider possibilities (Dietze. B., & Kashin, D. 2016. p. 212).

Environment Indoor and Outdoor – is our third teacher. With appropriate physical space along with an inviting atmosphere our environment: is warm, comfortable, safe, and secure – to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, a place of beauty – a place for children to wonder, explore, experience and express themselves – to be a home away from home is also what our centre strives for.

Program accountability – in my centre our play based programming is a collaborative effort. Together the staff and I listen to one another’s ideas that support our philosophy and development for the children, to then provide the children with rich and interesting materials, tools, experiences and environment settings. We set up our environment for the children with invitations and provocations to support positive learning, reflect on their learning, celebrate their learning, and display their learning using pedagogical listening, tools and documentations. We, children and educators reflect, evaluate and redefine the process of the programming continuously.

Curriculum frameworks – I like to refer to the BC Early Learning Framework (ELF), the Early Learning for Every Child Today: A framework for Ontario early childhood settings, and BC Handbook Play Today. They all offer guidance and support, developmental suggestions, focus on concepts, and give recommended practice ideas and solutions along with being great pedagogical tools. I find all these documents give myself another opportunity, and when collaboration with staff, a moment to reflect on positive guidance, big ideas, discourse, disequilibrium, classroom culture, clearer perspectives, critically thinking, possibilities, and  reflect on values and beliefs.  I also like to refer to the Reggio Emilia approach and emergent curriculum to inspire me with creativity and offer alternative suggestions in supporting a child in development. I also like to keep my eye on worldwide frameworks to enhance my learning and practice.

Child Assessment – Even though early learning professionals do not diagnose development delays or behavioural issues, from an ethical perspective an evaluation of a child’s developmental learning outcomes can be observed, pedagogical documented, along with understanding the child’s family and culture backgrounds will and do  help me  to see the child’s strengths and challenges. From here I am able to plan appropriate learning strategies to support a child and their family to find balance and a calmer and happier learning journeys.

Continuous professional learning – adds new knowledge to my professional landscape and continues to open up experiences as my journey continues as an early childhood educator. My commitment to continuous professional learning is also a commitment to my professional ethical behaviours. I like to refer to “the cycle of professional practice” through my professional practice pillar, as it reminds me “practice is continuously examined – practice evolves – practice is open to professional challenge – practice changes as new research and theories evolve – and practice is defined and redefined” ( Dietze. B., & Kashin, D. 2016. p. 7). With continuous professional learning in all my roles I embrace my professional practice grows.

Challenging Behaviours – is a gift. I look through this lens of a gift to respect the child and family first. As I truly believe there is a root cause to the challenging behaviour. Allowing time to understand the child, their family and cultural backgrounds is important. As I try my best to not assume what is happening, and place my own thoughts and bias options aside to give me a clear perspective lens to observe through.

Observing, documenting and collaboration, taking with the child, staff, when needed community support, and family, I feel I/we are surrounding the child with a positive team of support. Letting the child know they are important to us and we all care for them, brings a sense of trust and security for the child. The child learns to recognize there are adults by their side to help, support, and encourage them with new coping skills to open up a calmer and happier world around them.

Health, Mindfulness, Safety, and Nutrition – all of these topics play an important role in a child’s growth and development. Educating myself on health, mindfulness, safety, and nutrition gives me the tools I and my staff need to comfort a child in all 4 of these topics. The education also provides us with strategies with communication with the child’s family in tactful ways and provides us with documents and resources I, my staff, and the child’s family can relate to in supporting the child.

How I Manage Ethical Decision Making

As part of my commitment to ethical practices and as a member of ECEBC I refer to the ECEBC Code of Ethics when needing to navigate through an ethical decision making and or dilemma. When I encounter an ethical problem I read each principle and follow the principle that relates to the problem. “The eight ethical principles are guides for early childhood educators in deciding what conduct is right and correct. Each principle is followed by an explanation and a list of standards of practice that represent an application of the principle in early childhood setting” ( ECEBC. 2008. p. 2).

Principle: *“Early childhood educators promote the health and well-being of all children.

Explanation: Early childhood educators are responsible for the children in their care. They create environments for children that are safe, secure and supportive of good health in the broadest sense. They design programs that provide children with opportunities to develop physically, socially, emotionally, morally, spiritually, cognitively and creatively. A healthy environment for children is one in which each child’s self-esteem is enhanced, play is encouraged, and a warm, loving atmosphere maintained.

Implications for practice – In adhering to this Principle, and early childhood educator would:

• Promote each child’s health and well-being
  • Create and maintain safe and healthy environments for children
  • Foster all facets of children’s development
  • Enhance each child’s feelings of competence, independence and self-esteem
  • Refrain from in any way degrading, endangering, frightening or harming children
  • Act as an advocate on behalf of all children for public policies, programs and services that enhance their health and well-being”

(ECEBC. 2008. p. 5).

When ethical decision making conflicts with an ethical principle the educator is faced with an ethical dilemma. Educators are encouraged to consult with colleagues and obtain different perspectives on the problem. Next, if needed, an educator is encouraged to contact the Executive Director at the ECEBC office for guidance. After the educator has gathered and reviewed their finding it is then up to the educator to come to a final decision on the problem. Confidently consulting with others indicates a commitment to ethical practice.

Play to Learn!

J.P.B.

The Importance of Professional Development for Early Childhood Educators

Examples of Documentation: Direct

ECC 136 Personal Philosophy Assignment

ECC 136 Personal Philosophy Assignment

ECC 168 Health Promotion Assignment Brochure – Mindfulness Meditation

ECC 168 ELP Fun Brain Facts

ECC 125 PARTNERS ENVIRONMENT ASSIGNMENT

ECEA Cert Jan, 2019

ECEA Cert May 2014

Examples of Documentation: Indirect

Licensing Officer Stephen Morgan Letter August 2020

ECEBC Membership 2019 and Present

CCCF Membership 2020 and Present

Resources I have available to refer to in my own personal Resource Library

ECEBC Code of Ethics

Rights of the Child

Active Play July 2016

BC Early Learning Framework

BC Play Today Handbook

Childs Rights Canada

Covid-19 Guidance Child Care Settings July 2020

Early Learning for Every Child Today

From Truth to Reconciliation Book

Safe Play Space Dec 2007

Truth & Reconciliation – Call to Action Booklet 2020

The BC Handbook for Action on Child Abuse and Neglect

Dietze, B., & Kashin, D. (2016). Empowering pedagogy for early childhood education. Toronto, Ontario. Pearson Education Canada Inc.

ECEBC. 2008. ECEBC Code of Ethics. Sixth edition.

Â